Saturday, August 12, 2006

Gloria, where did you put the keys to the Uhaul?

On Wednesday, Tara (the roommate) and I moved all of our shit (pardon the expletive, but after packing, moving and unloading everything I own, I am so sick of it all that shit seemed like the most fitting description) from the old apartment to the new one (about a quarter of a mile distance.)

I am never moving again.

Seriously.

Feminism was the order of the day. At 9am I picked up the 14 foot Uhaul. Had I ever driven anything that gigantic before? No. Was I sure that I could handle it? Hell fuckin’ yeah. The older lady who worked the counter at the Uhaul place took me outside to show me some things about the truck, since this my first time. She showed me the latch contraption in the back and said, “Don’t worry about this, honey; I am sure you’re husband or boyfriend will know how it works.” I just looked at her. Lady, if I had a husband and/or boyfriend overseeing this operation, do you think he would have sent the little woman to go pick up the freakin’ Uhaul? What about my lesbian lover? Will she know how it works? I was irritated, but not daunted. Today, feminism would win out. Today, we women would prove that we do not need men to unlatch our Uhauls. Period.

I did do a great job driving the Uhaul, if I don’t mind saying so myself. By about noon I had pretty much perfected the art of backing it up into a parking space perfectly straight. I am very proud of this little accomplishment, if you can’t tell. One comment about Uhauls – the mirrors are worthless. I’m not exactly sure what they are supposed to be used for, but you can’t see anything. Eh, I never really use the mirrors anyway. But ultimately, I felt very empowered by the whole experience.

For the most part, Tara and I did the move ourselves. Our friend Jordan came over and helped us in the morning with the three or four pieces of furniture that physically could not be moved without a third person. But then, for the next few hours Tara and I worked alone, loading box after box after random piece of furniture on the U-haul. We were soldiers. We were proving that we didn’t need men. We were independent and self-reliant. We were women, hear us roar. We were fucking exhausted.

By about 2pm, we had one last load of the u-haul to unload at the new apartment. By this time, morale was low. My feet hurt (flip flops = bad moving shoes). My back hurt. The roommates were getting on each others nerves. It was a thousand degrees outside. All we had the strength to carry was a toaster here and a throw pillow there. And then – our salvation. Out of nowhere swooped in two middle-aged gentlemen from across the street. Immediately, they began picking up bookcases and boxes and filing cabinets. At this point, the feminist in me was too tired to protest. We were saved. Thank goodness for men – big, strong, strapping men who can unload the entire contents of a U-haul in less than fifteen minutes.

It was an important lesson. As much as I wish to be free from the aid of men, I have to admit that there are times when they are needed. (Moving day, when the batteries in Mr. Dependable are dead, etc.) A friend of mine once told me that there is no “battle of the sexes.” There is no war. We are all on the same team and need to learn to work together. I am not sure if I buy this touchy-feely take on gender relations, but I see his point.

As for my feminist notions, I don’t feel they were compromised at all by allowing men to rescue us in our hour of need. We put in a valiant effort and managed to do about 75% of the work on our own. 75% is totally a passing grade. A bad grade, but passing nonetheless.

5 comments:

Heather said...

of course i (your life partner) knows how it works pookie ;) its so cute when you get all indignant and feminist on me. aw. miss you!

Kristina said...

We don't really NEED men. We can drive truck, move furniture, fix things and do all that other so called manly stuff. The thing is that you, myself and many other women don't like doing those tedious labor intensive tasks. I used to do things to prove that I could do them. To heck with that. If a guy wants to do some hard labor for me I say "Yayya!" I don't even mind that much that he thinks that I can't do it, I know better.

PookieMalibu said...

"What about my lesbian lover? Will she know how it works?"---perhaps one of the more classic quotes i've heard in recent memory. now you know people in the south are more steadfast and rigid in their gender roles than Scalia is in his interpretations of the constitution. so of course, in her mind anyway, your husband-baby-daddy-hetero-life-mate would be doing all the "heavy-lifting", so to speak. While I don't agree with, or for that matter know, Kristina...you do need men, but hey if two women want to move their shit, i'm all for it! I'm lazy

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of when you got the Sex Pistol... (speaking of, I had to learn how to drive stick when I got over to this country) And it's not that you NEEDED the men-folk to help you move, but shit, why shouldn't they help you move it??? They NEED to be doing SOMETHING other than sitting on their ass!!! =)

Anonymous said...

I agree with this completely. In 2003 after graudating college, I helped my then-boyfriend move back to Colorado. I picked up the UHAUL, with tow-dolly attached, and drove it from Houston to College Station all by myself. I had never driven anything bigger than a Honda Accord.
Then, I drove his car up onto the dolly, and then drove the UHAUL through the mountains for 8 hours before he was awake to take over! HA, and I didn't even think it was that big of a deal until people heard the story and gave their sexist/surprised comments at my ability. Some didn't even believe it. But I have two male witnesses...too bad they were asleep for most of the ride. (The other was my then-bf's little brother who was too young to drive it)